Last updated on June 21st, 2023
Tungsten inert gas welding (TIG), gas metal arc welding (MIG), shielded metal arc welding (Stick), and flux-cored arc welding are the four basic methods of welding used to join metals.
TIG welding is one of the popular and historical method that is mainly used to weld aluminum. It operates at a high temperature (around 3400 degrees Celsius) to produce excellent results. This welding needs experience in the process.
What is TIG Welding? In this process, the machine initiates an arc between the heat-resistant tungsten electrode and metal. When an arc hits the metal or workpiece, it forms the molten weld pool. The wire of the filler rod is dipped into a weld pool, where it melts. The inert shielding gas (argon) secures the tungsten electrode and weld pool from airborne contaminants. This complete process is known as TIG welding.
People compares the Metal and Tungsten welding but both have separate functions and working.
What is Required for TIG Welding?
These are the main pieces of equipment you need to start welding but, the important one is ‘skill.’
- Power Supply
- Tig Torch
- Foot Pedal
- Argon Gas
- Non-consumable Tungsten electrode
- Ground Clamp
- Gas Regulator
- Filler Rod
- Safety Measures
What is TIG Welding Used For?
This welding produces most clean, precise, and accurate welds on any metal. It’s used to weld stainless steel, chromoly, aluminum and many more.
The common perception is that GTAW welding is for aluminum welding. Many industries depend on this process that are:
Fabricators need artsy-craftsy weld, and they highly depend on attractive appearance. For shining beads, they always need a tungsten inert gas welding to meet the clients expectations.
The auto industry prefers safe and reliable welding methods to produce strong construction, and tig is one of them. Some features in TIG welders remove corrosion from metals, so the automotive industry is using this welding technique to avoid rust.
It is used in restoring different things like bikes frames, boats, vehicle parts and many more. The most common use is the repairing of home’s things.
This industry has been using a TIG welding process since the 1940s. The planes, helicopters, and spacecraft use these types of strategies for more precision and durability.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- It offers excellent control over heat.
- By this process, you can control the amperage level high and low.
- It can weld every metal like steel, aluminum, nickel alloys, and copper.
- With the strategies of TIG process, you can remove the oxidation from metals.
- Welding thin metals can be done fast.
- This method brings precision and accuracy to work as compared to other arc welding operations.
- Flames and sparks are very minimal.
- A clean and shining result appeared after the work.
- You get a very strong result.
- It uses non-consumable tungsten electrodes.
- It is a time taking process and much slower than any other process.
- It takes much time to be ok with it.
- The main disadvantage is that this process is more expensive than the others.
- Expensive welding components, costs
- of inert gases, and foot pedal for amperage control make it costly.
- Improper Welding techniques in this process can cause weld metal contamination.
Q1. Is TIG welding hard to learn?
GTAW welding is a bit challenging to learn as compare to the other methods because it requires different strategy from Mig and stick welding.
Q2. Which is the most strongest welding method?
TIG is the strongest among all methods because it uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode with shielding gas (argon).
Q3. What’s main use of TIG?
For aluminum welding, it can easily weld aluminum thin metals without burning them. It can also weld every type of steel metals.
Q4. Is there shortage of skilled workers for TIG in U.S?
Whole world is facing shortage of skilled workers for TIG including U.S. I think it’s a right time to choose welding as a career.
If you’re looking to enhance your skills level and accuracy of work, then tungsten inert gas welding is an excellent process to learn and implement on your projects. To increase skill level, there are few techniques that you can try.
- How to Use a TIG Welder? Ultimate Guide and Expert Tips - March 14, 2023
- What is a TIG Welder? – Everything You Need to Know - March 11, 2023
- Ahp AlphaTIG 200X(updated 203XI) Review for 2023 - February 7, 2023